Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Christmas cards overview

It came to my mind to make a short overview of the Christmas cards I got this year.
Looking at the cards sent from Finland and from Poland I can see a clear difference.
Some of the Polish cards present Santa Claus or the Christmas tree, some are amusing but most of them  refer to the birth of Christ, present Nativity scenes or the Three Wise Men.

The Finnish cards in general present a different approach. I have seen mostly cheerful elfs, Santa Claus, reindeers, the forest animals and snowmen.

I see every year cards with photos of the animals with the christmas hats on (tonttulakki).
I must admit that I have mixed feelings about them, maybe because I got used to the religious Polish cards. Anyhow my son asked me to buy the cat and the dog card to 'decorate' our kitchen, so we have these ones home also:-).

There are of course also Finnish earnest cards wishing the Peaceful or the Blessed Christmas (including picture of church, Jesus, angels or candle), and the winter nature scenes cards, often with photos or ilustrations of the bullfinches (punatulkku) or forest.

I would like to present also a very original Christmas card I got this year, reproduction of work of the Finnish artist Reetta Isotupa-Siltanen:-)

Ach! and of course the handmade ones which my sons created this year:

No comments:

Post a Comment