Saturday, February 8, 2014

salmiakki :-)

From Wikipedia: Salty liquorice, also known as salmiakki or salmiak, is a variety of liquorice flavoured with ammonium chloride. ... people not familiar with ammonium chloride might find the taste physically overwhelming and unlikeable'.
I tried many versions of salmiakki candies and I am familiar with their taste but I still find it physically overwhelming. Maybe I would like them if I was familiar with them as a child? But how even children can stand the hot ones? they are extremely spacy.
I brought salmiakki candies to Poland to my family and friends as an example of the Finnish delicacy. The reactions were expected (yuck, yuck), but one of my uncles liked them! One in few tens of people :-)
 He surprised us all as to him it was tasty.
Salmiakki are very popular in the Nordic countries. 
In Finland you can see salmiakki candies in all grocery stores, kiosks etc., tens of different versions. My sons and husband love salmiakki candies, ice-creams, chewing gums, pastilles, lollipops and all 'sweets' of that taste. 
I like the packet (only the packet!) in the first photo. 
I don't get it, how one can like salmiakki, I don't get it at all!:-) 
Check out this blog about salmiakki I've just found :-) : www.salmiyuck.com


No comments:

Post a Comment