Tuesday, October 18, 2011

No hurry / Ilman kiirettä

Getting used to the Finnish rythm of the everyday life took me a lot of time. Finns don't hurry. Rarely I see here people running to the bus or train. Only few times I have witnessed customers' impatience caused by the slowly progressing checkout queue.
And I have to admit, few times I was that unpatient customer.
I always used to be in a hurry in general, but in Finland I was forced to slow down.
In Finland no one sends angry looks nor comments standing in a queue to checkout when sb trying to pay with card forgets PIN number, or forgets to weight vegetables - what means few minutes more of waiting for everyone.
Once I was crossing the street on the red light. The street was totally empty, I could see about kilometer of the street looking to the right and left. Suddenly I heard the shout behind my back: 'You are breaking the law!' The shouting man looked really angry.
I guess crossing street on the red light is not a big crime, but obviously according to the Finnish social-behavioral standards - it was more serious than I supposed.

Suomalaiseen arkielämän rytmiin tottuminen on vienyt minulta hyvin paljon aikaa.
Suomalaisilla ei ole kiirettä. Hyvin harvoin olen nähnyt ihmisten juoksevan busiin tai junaan.
Vain pari kertaa olen nähnyt kaupassa kärsimättömän asiakkaan kun jono kassalla hidastelee.
Pari kertaa tämä malttamaton asiakas oli minä.
Olen aina ollut kiireinen, mutta Suomessa minun oli pakko hidastaa.

Suomessa ei kukaan näytä vihaista ilmetta tai sano kommenteja jonossa kassalla, kun asiakas kassalla unohdaa PIN numeron tai unohdaa puntaroida vihanneksia, ja se tarkoittaa kaikille pari lisä minuuttia odottamista jonossa.
Kerran olin ylittämäässä katua punaisilla. Katu oli aivan tyhjä. Pystyin näkemään katua kilometri vasemmalle ja oikealle. Yhtäkkiä kuulin huuto minun takana, "NYT RIKOT LAKIA!" huutava mies näytti vihaiselta. Minusta kadun ylittäminen punaisilla ei ole suuri rike. Kuitenkin näyttää sitä, että suomalaiset sosiaaliset käyttäytymis standardit ovat tärkeämpiä kuin luulin.

No comments:

Post a Comment